Monday, February 21, 2011

Delayed Weigh in

I decided that this week - I'm not going to weigh in. I'm not feeling as good as I was last week, so I'm postponing the weigh in to avoid feeling let down. I generally had a good week. I ate moderately well, and I exercised more days than I missed. I just know I would be disappointed with my weigh in which could potentially lead to bad behaviours (like pity eating... do you know what I mean? Where you feel sorry for yourself and think that all your hard work will never pay off, so you might as well order an extra large pizza?). Today, when I was craving carbs at 5pm, thinking about what I could get at the corner store, I made the decision to read through some things I wrote down about a month ago - motivational things. Like what I want to do in a year's time. Like go on a ski trip. And then I decided that the carbs just aren't worth it. I don't know if I would have made that decision if I was in some sort of pity spiral.

I have stopped the daily weigh ins. I have read evidence that supports daily weigh ins, but a lot more advice seems to say it is best to weigh in once a week at most. I decided to try weighing in less and I now see the benefit of that wisdom. I don't start out my day wondering what I did wrong the day before. And when I do see a weight loss once a week, it seems more meaningful, even if it is a small number. So I'm trying to be less obsessed with the scale. I think it is working. It is easier to start the day out well when you know you had a good previous day, instead of the scale telling you what kind of day it was. Okay, maybe that doesn't make much sense, but when I'm constantly weighing myself, I end up second guessing my decisions, even if they were good decisions.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pity spirals are very dangerous, especially when you live alone (well, I assume so, it has been a while since I've lived with anyone, but when there's no-one nearby to help you snap out of it I know they're really easy to slide into). Anyway, good for you for taking a week off from the scale, and still making good choices.