Thursday, August 12, 2010

The Weekend with Family

I think I'm going to ramble on for a bit about how my weekend went. I decided that I wanted to record this weekend's eating so I know I can eat well in less than idea situations and also so I have a record of what works so next time, I can refer back (I'm such a science geek).

So Thursday night (at Ricky's ), I had orange chicken (they were out of the fish) and instead of rice, I asked for 1/2 of the rice and more veggies. They couldn't do that (for some bizarre reason) so instead, I had all veggies. Great day.

Friday I had a non fat latte and multigrain, turkey bacon breakfast sandwich from Starbucks. I don't know how healthy it was, but it was the best breakfast sandwich and definitely the most filling thing I found there. Lunch was a fun sushi place (see previous posts for more about my love of sushi), but I did pretty good. We ordered some sushi (at my request) and more stuff from the grill (for everyone else). I had a few pieces of sushi and a couple of bites of the other stuff (1 piece of ginger beef, some stir fry veggies, some shredded beef and a few bites of salmon. REALLY good for being at a sushi place. Supper was at East Side Marios where I SKIPPED the pre-meal bread!!! and just had salad instead. I had a portabella mushroom panini (it had a lot of veggies, some cheese on a bun - not super awesome, but much better than the cheesy fettucini alfredo that I wanted). We stopped at a grocery store so we had a veggie platter and fruit platter (I didn't even touch the cookies or chips that were also bought!).

Saturday was not as easy as I was eating at people's homes and I still feel like I need to eat what is served. Breakfast was a small bowl of special K and half of a rhubarb muffin (with the brown sugar sprinkled on top) and many cups of coffee. Lunch was the luncheon meat/ cream puff mess (white buns, crackers, cheese, and luncheon meats). Supper was pizza that was brought in. And boy - not so great. I guess my tastes have changed. It was thick crust with lots 'o cheese and it just didn't taste all that great. But I did manage to eat 2 pieces (mostly 'cause I was hungry) - and then I had to have birthday cake, ice cream, and strawberries (how many 90th birthday parties have you been to?).

Sunday brunch was okay. It was the largest and fanciest breakfast brunch I have ever been to. I bypassed the bread table (and yes, there was a table for all the different kinds of breads), skipped the dressing laden salads, had some smoked salmon, a few potato chunks, some fruit, a veggie (and a small amount of cheese) omelet. Which would have been prefect, but I did go back to the dessert table. I had some cheese cake, a shot glass of strawberry mouse, cream puff, and a strawberry dipped in the chocolate fountain (which I had to try - it was a first for me). Early supper was at Swiss Chalet where I had chicken, salad, and FRIES. Oh, right, and ice cream sunday. Why is it when I know I blow the start of a day, I keep eating badly for the rest of the day? I think it comes from thinking "I'll start dieting tomorrow" when I really should be thinking "So I ate something that wasn't great - I have the rest of the day to eat right!".

I think this is why I find family gatherings so tough. I eat well to start out with, but then, after one slip up (and seeing others have fun eating junk), I start telling myself that I'm missing out and that I might as well keep going - I already fell off the wagon (so to speak). I need to learn how to recover from a slip up without it ruining the rest of my day (or week, month,.... year?). I think I'm going to work on this thinking for the next time I get together with my family for a week in October (all who read this blog). Nuts... I should have thought of that earlier - now I'm accountable to them.

I'm proud of the weekend and the choices I made. In recent memory, I have not gotten together with my family and not gained weight. So this weekend - SUCCESS!

3 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

You skipped the bread!!!!!! Twice?

Uhm, wow.

That would have been my weakness. :)

So impressed with you. And recovery is something I struggle with too...

Kristen said...

I totally understand what you're saying about eating what is served when you're at people's homes. I don't know how many times I've had cake when I didn't want it, just to be polite. Not to say I never want cake, but sometimes you just know it isn't going to sit well - but it is a celebration so I eat and regret.

As for cream puffs - better to have a few in the company of people you care about than to have the whole box by yourself while parked in front of the TV. Not that I know anything about that.

Congrats on your relatively healthy eating on your weekend with relatives!