Saturday, September 18, 2010

Trip by train

I took the train to visit my folks... I was suppose to be in a berth (basically a bunk bed separated from the hall by a curtain), but when I boarded the train, I found out that someone was sleeping in my berth. And I didn't really want to share my bunk with the fellow who was already in it, so they started looking for another place for me to sleep. And then I was told that all their berths were full... and I got upgraded to a cabin! I was pretty excited. Almost too excited to sleep in it. And the train left the station close to midnight!

The wonderful thing about getting a ticket one step up from economy is meals are included. Breakfast was first come, first serve, but all the other meals you had to book a spot. I had a tomato pesto omelet with hashbrowns and rye toast with coffee. I would have done better if I had skipped the toast (or skipped the hashbrowns) but I had to try the tiny little jams they had. And the hashbrowns were very tasty.

Lunch was a choice of 3 and I picked the lamb burger. The salmon wrap would have been better, but I kinda wanted to try lamb. I had veggie soup, coffee, and SKIPPED the dessert!!! I got off the train just as they started serving supper so I missed out? didn't have to agonize over? got out of? having to pick something for supper. I guess it depends on how you look at it. It was a grey, rainy day and I was happy to curl up in my bed in my cabin for the afternoon.

The last few days at my parent's place have been really good both food wise and exercise wise. I have brought some of my own food and I'm eating right. And I can always find someone to go for a walk with. I'm probably doing a whole lot more than I would have been doing at home. I guess this beats sitting around at home! I'll try to check in again - maybe at an internet cafe.

No comments: