Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Stairs and more stairs

I haven't done much in the past few days. I have a longer stretch off right now (just how my schedule works out). I think it's the reason I haven't done anything. I slept in a couple of mornings ago and then about 2 in the afternoon, I had a nap. Just 'cause I had nothing else pressing to do. And with a bit more time off, that means that nothing needs to get done in a hurry. So the past 2 days were write offs.

Now the weather is getting much more blustery, it is really easy to stay inside and watch TV. I figured that I would start to go through some TV shows I have on DVD. The only problem with that is that it is really easy to watch one show after another and then all of a sudden, the whole afternoon is gone. So I decided that for each episode I watched, I had to do 5 flights of stairs (I guess it is helpful to live on the 27th floor). Which worked out really good the first day I had that idea. Then Sunday and Monday... well, stairs seemed like too much work. And I figured hadn't blogged about my idea yet, so no one would know that was my plan, therefore I wasn't cheating. But I was cheating. So today (after coming home from my swim) I did a couple sets of 5 flights of stairs. And then I have done a few more. Now, I'm caught up. All 9 times today. That's 9 sets of 5 flights. 45 flights. Or 630 individual stairs. Not that I did them all together. I go down 5 flights, turn around, come up 5 flights, walk the length of my floor, then do it again. I did it 3 sets, 3 separate times today.

You may be wondering why I'm rambling on about this. I am excited that I was able to do so many stairs at a time. I have always been able to walk for a long time without getting tired, do heavy lifting for a while, or other such daily activities without being in shape. But I have always found that when I'm out of shape and overweight, stairs are REALLY hard to do. I feel breathless very quickly and my knee starts to hurt (when the muscles around my knee are weak). Finding stairs difficult is the 1st thing that lets me know that I'm out of shape ('cause I can fool myself for a long time as long as I don't encounter stairs). So I did 45 flights today. Which I am proud of.

But the reason I started out talking about this was because I felt like I needed to be really honest about how bad Sunday and Monday were. And it wasn't just the lack of exercise (or the refusing to do stairs inbetween episodes like I promised myself). I also inhaled a tub (vat?) of chocolate ice (with the additional tins of caramel and chocolate sauce). Not that I should use this as an excuse, but I have always found it very difficult to loose weight (or even maintain the same weight) in the fall/winter. I crave food that I normally not tempted by. It's the idea of comfort food plus the oversized clothes/layers you wear at this time. And I just don't know how to change my mindset so that I can be successful.

But today was a good day. I have eaten what I am suppose to and haven't eaten anything I'm not suppose to. I went for a 30 minute swim. I did stairs. I'm going to try to think of my success today, and not my failures the past days.

No comments: