Thursday, November 25, 2010

Stairs (yet again)

I don't have much happening right now so I'm going to talk about the stairs one more time. I have been trying to find ways to be active without the gym - I want to see if it is possible without the thought of paying for a trainer (and I haven't been spending a lot of time at my pool because I think there is a cold just waiting to strike). So I'm trying to be active around my home. And in my apartment, it means stairs. I have been doing stairs inbetween the episodes of my TV on DVD. And I think I have watched a lot less TV because of it. After I get up and do some stairs - I come back into my place and end up moving around (trying to catch my breath) and empty the dishwasher or clean the bathroom. It has been very productive. Well, "very" might be too strong of a word. More productive than normal lazy days off.

2 days ago, I got up 1st thing in the morning and decided that I wanted to try to walk 15 flights all at once. So I took the elevator down (yes - I know - cheating. But in my defence - I was a little worried about coming back up the whole way so I figured I needed to conserve energy). And I walked up 15 flights. And yes, I did account for the lack of a 13th floor. It was a full 15 flights!

Yesterday, instead of sitting around inside, I decided to walk to a coffee shop 15 minutes away to read. And then I had to walk home. So I'm trying to find every day ways to get more active. I probably also need to add that the last 2 weeks have been FREEZING. Like -25 degrees during the middle of the day with the sunshine. Making getting outside a little harder.

Today - I walked to the post office to get stamps for Christmas cards instead of buying them at the corner store in my building. And then later - I did those 15 flights of stairs again. And this time I walked down. And did not stop on the way back up. Sure, it took me twice as long to get my breath back afterwards and 2 hours later I still have this tickle in my throat - but I did it. And I'm proud of myself.

I head back to work tomorrow (I have a crazy schedule before Christmas) meaning that I'll be working a lot. Thank goodness Jenny Craig has these pre-made meals that I can take to work and don't have to worry about cooking for work for the next 3 weeks. It is like this program was made for me. Or at least single shift workers who eat poorly if their meals aren't carefully planned out in advance. I know many other programs work (and other programs have worked for me in the past), but right now - I love having my food sent to me. And then pulling it out of the cupboard or freezer and having it ready in a few minutes. So here's to a healthier me over these next few busy weeks...

No comments: