Saturday, November 6, 2010

Weigh in 14

I knew I was getting back on track. It is amazing what a little routine will do. Back to work, back to eating according to the diet (or at least much closer), and back to trying to work activity into everyday life. I lost 2.6 lbs for a total of 34.6 lbs lost. Which is a very slow rate of weight loss. When I have tried, and was successful, at losing weigh before, it has always happened much quicker. I think this time I can attribute the slower weight lost to several things. First, I am getting older (as everyone does). Second, I'm trying to do this more moderately this time - less extremes which translates into slower weight loss. And finally, I am just not as active as I have been before. I think a lot of this relates to working 12 hour shifts. On my days off, it is rare for me not do exercise (yesterday I went for a swim, today I went for a couple of walks). But I'm finding it very hard to do anything after work, when I have been busy for 12 hours. It is next to impossible to imagine getting up early to exercise.

I think I am a little worried that with this slower weight loss rate that I will be tempted to get bored or give up on this diet. When you see results, you are motivated to carry on. When these results are only fraction of pounds each week, it just makes me wonder how long this process will be. At this rate, it is going to take several years to take the weight off. And yes, I know the argument of "it took you a long time to gain the weight,... it will take time to get it off", but thinking about being on a diet for 2 years is very discouraging.

So this week, I am thankful I saw a loss of over 2 1/2 lbs. It gives me hope. And then I spent some time looking back through my calendar of the last 5 months, savoring each loss. And I am happy. The diet... it's working. Not fast. But working.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats! You are doing a great job. Being slower weight loss will be more of a shift in lifestyle change and increase your chances of keeping it off forever! How much loss from your last pic, when are you ready for an update photo?! You are awesome!
Jen