Monday, January 17, 2011

Weigh in 20

I must admit - I thought I would be farther along by now. It seems like I have fought with these same 5 lbs for about 3 months. I was up 2.9lbs. So I spent some time today thinking about why I'm doing this - trying to remember where my motivation comes from. This is what I came up with...

I am doing this to be healthy. So my blood pressure is slightly lower than normal instead of slightly higher than normal. I want to get this problem under control now, and not have to struggle with it for the next 40 years. I want to be able to go skiing again (we are having record snowfalls this year - I'm not enjoying any winter sports because right now - all of them are too hard).

I started out blogging really well, but the last month or so, I have been dreading posting any entries because I don't have any positive things to say. The last 2 weigh in posts have been posted several days late! I'm recommitting to this blog and to my readers that I am going to be more consistent with my blogging. I'm losing that accountability factor that was working so well in the beginning.

I also recommitted to my eating program. I'm paying for this food to be shipped to me. And for the past 3 days - I haven't eaten any of it. I have had bread, pasta, popcorn, ice cream, chips and more stuff that I have already block out of my memory. A meal of popcorn and ice cream isn't all that healthy, believe it or not.

And then I have always committed to exercising more frequently. Like daily. I got out some old workout DVDs and starting today - I'm going to try to do one 6 times a week. Even if it is just yoga. So today - I did "Classical Stretch" which is a lot more than stretching - maybe a cross between yoga and pilates. I'm thinking about buying a few more disks (I need an aerobic workout).

So please feel free to comment if you don't think I'm posting about my progress enough. I'm going to try for 3 times a week (depending on my work schedule). I'm going to keep weighing in every 9 days (my work week is 9 days long - 4 days on, 5 days off) and weighing in while I'm working shift work doesn't work as my weight can fluctuate 4+ lbs over the course of a day. And I'm going to try to break the habit of daily weigh ins. All the stuff that I have read seems to say that daily weigh ins are a bad idea, that your weight can fluctuate a lot and you set yourself up for disappointment with daily weigh ins. These next few days are going to be tough as I start to eat the right amount of food again after eating way to much. But I know I can do it. I must do it. I have to work on my discipline.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm right there with you! Motivation? What's motivation and will I ever get it back? Keep going... you can do it.

Myra said...

I actually found an old notebook where I made some resolutions (May 2008) for 4 areas of my life (weight, finacial, spiritual, and professional). It was very good to read. I had accomplished some goals and failed horribily in some other areas. It was helpful to see where there are areas of weakness in my life! And I put pen to paper to make up my new resolutions.