Monday, June 7, 2010

Swimming

I have a pool in my apartment building. I love to swim. This pool is the main reason I moved to my current apartment. But I don`t swim as much as I expected I would. I probably swim one to two times per week. That`s the average. I seem to go in cycles. I`ll swim 4 times in a week and then not again for 3 weeks. I think it is because I really have to psych myself up when I go. And this would be because I figure people are judging me in a bathing suit. Half the time I`m swimming, I`m the only one in the pool. I love it. I swim at my own pace and usually feel really good about the workout.

And when I share the pool with other people, the really hard part is getting in and out of the pool. Once I`m in, I just swim and don`t really worry about it. But I do swim longer and faster. So obviously their opinion of me (or at least the way I perceive their opinion of me) matters.

There is also a workout room with weights, treadmills, ellipticals, and bikes. I enjoy walking on treadmill, but I have only been in this room twice. In 10 months. Because once again, I think people would be judging me. There is almost always someone in the workout room. And I don`t have any clothes that I feel comfortable in. I have this suspicion that this feeling keeps a lot of people from working out in public.

So I don`t have a great solution yet. I did buy Wii Fit Plus. Which is a lot of fun to play. And I`m doing more than I did 2 weeks ago because of this game, but let`s be honest. A good workout... I don`t think so. But at least I`m moving more. In my own apartment.

I`m sill not eating fabulously yet - I start that probably on Thursday. I signed up for Jenny Craig. And they ship out the supplies so I`ll get the Thursday or Friday. I was really ready to start last Friday, but these few days have been good for getting my head around the whole process and why I really need to do this now. So to a healthier me (or at least one that is moving more)...

No comments: